Monday, October 6, 2008

October 6, 2008

Today I decided to start writing down my thoughts and daily activity. While I was driving around looking for the people that forget or chose not to obey the laws, I started thinking about what class of man is living among us today. Everyone sees the challenges one might face today, but is quickly reminded of the challenges a Nation or even the world is facing. When I am brought to the realization of the challenges, I can’t help but think these questions:

-How did we get here?
-Who did this or who can we blame?
-What happens next?

How did we get here? Think about it for a moment. The last time we were brought down to our knees of financial burden, most of us were not alive. I imagine after the recovery of the depression our predecessors had a little different attitude toward the purpose of life and their goals in life. I would like to think they were not as worried about how much they were going to make as much as they were about being grateful they had a job. I would like to think they wanted everyone to have the same opportunity to work.

Now look at us now. We have CEO’s making more than ever. We are so focused on what we have and what we want (every man for himself). Greed has gripped the heart and mind of man. We just had to have the bigger houses, the extra big toy, or more often than not, toys. The leaders of the banks and government wanted more as well. They gave the loans to those who should not have had them just so they could paint the books black and their pockets green. Give me give me more, more, more. Greed has some how set our hearts upon the items of the world.

When I ask myself the question of “who” I know there is no other answer than me. I did this to myself. I let the influence of coveting overtake me. I have wanted what others have and not wanted to wait. I have wanted in my youth what my predecessors had worked for their whole lives.

So where do we go from here? The world, our country is in a mess. The men who wish to lead this country try with lies and deceit to persuade our hearts and votes. Banks and financial institutions fall. Men have their secrets and do acts of lewdness and filth. Man has his wars and rumor of wars. The earth is unleashing disaster after disaster. The phrase “history has a way of repeating itself” comes to my mind. As I reflect upon a book called the “Book of Mormon” I see the same patterns unfolding. I only hope to see the pattern fulfill its cycle and the time of prosperity come again. I know this based off of our own commitment to give up our greed and pray for righteous leaders.

13 comments:

Amber said...

I have become equally concerned over the greediness of this world. With all the financial "crisis" our country and the world is facing right now, it is puzzling to see CEOs of many of the companies going down leaving with $500 million severence packages. I don't know if I just don't understand the situation, but it is hard to fathom how these people can lead their companies to bankrupcy while they themselves leave with their millions. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me! I also don't quite comprehend the bailout plan, but it just doesn't seem fair that everyone has to pay for the overindulgences of these crooked companies and people who do not set boundaries for themselves. We've been trying very hard to find a house within our means, but yet, we have to deal with an economy suffering from the poor judgement of others. hmmm.

Colt said...

hey Russ welcome to the blogging phenomenon! I enjoyed your post alot. The economy is failing but its not the end of days. You can already see some benefits from it all, Gas prices are finally dropping, and the Almighty Dollar is the best its been in awhile as well.

To allude to amber's comment. CEO's going down with severence packages is not much different then any doctor who invests money in malpractice insurance or even just anyone putting money away for a rainy day. I don't think its necessarily too much of an evil for CEO's to put away some money or even negotiate a severence packages as terms of employment, especially when they are in charge of making alot more.
Im not really knowledgable about the subject but sometimes I wonder if the Wall Street man is only the bad guy when things get tough.

Also, we've talked about people who've overindulged and disregarded boundaries at the expense of others. I'd like to throw it out there that the government has doubled the national debt in the past 8 years solely at the expense of the people.

Sorry to be so condescending I have no intention of undermining your guys thoughts as they are all very good points.

brenna said...

Russell!! You finally gave in huh? Welcome! I'm excited to read what you have to say :)

Colt said...

haha i don't know maybe the economy IS worse then we thought

Erin said...

Welcome to the blog-o-sphere. I try not to think about things too much. I hope if we are smart and prepare for the future, live within our means, we will be okay. I'm crossing my fingers, at least. It frustrates me things have turned for the worst when I am about ready to get a paycheck. Bummer!

Amber said...

Colton, I agree that CEOs have a lot of responsibility and thus, deserve to earn more than anyone else in their companies and even have severance packages. But it is justifiable for the same CEOs who lead their companies into bankrupcy, affecting the jobs of every other employee in the company (I'm wondering how much the normal employee gets for severance), and even turning to tax-payers to pay the burden of their own mistakes, to receive millions? It just seems like $500 million (?--I think that's what I heard on the news yesterday) could go back into the company, saving jobs, mortgages, etc. instead of simply paying severance for a leader who walks away from a dead company with no harm made to himself and money in his pocket (lots of money). Pretty sure if I made a huge mistake as a leader, one that affects nearly every person in our nation, or even the world, I wouldn't be able to benefit from it. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Abraham said...

For me, one of the most thought-provoking and powerful talks in the recent General Conference was when Elder Christofferson taught about what we need to do to establish Zion.

Also, I remember feeling reassured in the past when I heard Pres. Packer say the following:

"You young people, move ahead in your lives. It is a marvelous time to be alive. The world is not going to come to an end. You are going to have time to stand, as I stand now, talking about your children and your grandchildren and your great-grandchildren" (from 2003 CES Fireside).

"[W]hen I think of the future, I am overwhelmed with a feeling of positive optimism....I do not fear the future,...I have such positive feelings of confidence" (from Oct. 2005 General Conference).

Colt said...

i understand what your saying amber but when I thought about it, maybe 500 million is the amount of money that person feels like he needs to establish a new start in the business world. I doubt every single CEO came out of it with 500 million... but yes it was there fault.

AND It stinks that we have to bail them out, but what else are we going to do? They can take 3000 bucks out of the money everyone pays in taxes and bail them out or we can have a depression which would likewise affect everyone in ways probably much worse.

brenna said...

Wow Russ-- You have a lot of comments for your first post, I think i've only reached 8 a couple of times in my whole blogging career.

Suz said...

welcome to blogging. It starts out kinda fun then gets harder to keep it going.

Abraham said...

Who is this Suz person, anyway??? I've been missing Bob.

Suz said...

Bob forgot his new email address and password.

Russell, a blog is ongoing. It means writing more than once. ha ha

Dave said...

Thoughts are starving to death here. Where is the food? ;-)